Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 08:53:03 UTC 2010

On 11/15/2010 02:41 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> LVM's a fantasically useful tool in a wide range of cases, but I don't
> think that in the*typical*  laptop/desktop install any of that
> functionality ever gets used.

That's the essence of what's being discussed here
laptop/desktop/workstation installs default to ext4 and experienced
users/sysadmins those that generally know what lvm is with all it's
bells and whistles and want to use it will choose it during installation.

Those that claim that novice end users have no problem using LVM I want
them to perform just this very simple case of two person sharing what
ever data between themselves could be family photo music video and what not.

Partition an external connected HD that you got laying around with LVM.

Hand that drive to the novice end user running GNU/Linux on
laptop/desktop/workstation ( if he's not you can just insert a live cd
and boot from it ) and ask him to copy a single file to that drive no
more no less.

Take note on how many obstacle are in the users way from performing this
simple yet commonly used test case.

Repeate process this time with ext4 only for comparison.

After performing this simple test case and you have gathered the
necessary data revisit the topic of how easy it is for the novice end
user to use LVM and if he will ever use what ever tools we provide him
with to take advantage of all the features LVM brings and if it makes
sense to default to it.

JBG