External HD fs was: Re: Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 14:39:07 UTC 2010

On 11/15/2010 02:03 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 15/11/10 13:54, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> <snip>
>> there are very good reasons to use anything but DOS-FAT. For example
>> F10 and F12 automount said filesystems with drastically different options
>> by default (filename downcasing), using any other FS avoids this trap
>> and many other issues.
>>
>> Richard
>>
> What would you reccomend?
> That would attched itself nicely
> to Win<=7, and Mac<=Leopard
> out of the box (so to speak)
>
> Without being expelled from College.
> (we're talking Linux is evil incarnate territory)

I think you got things backwards which is perhaps because we have gotten
so used to chasing other OSes that we have lost focus on the fact we are
trying to create good usable desktop on GNU/Linux and we should turn our
focus on Linux and start by fixing all interoperability issues and
improve the ease of use and sharing between 2 Linux desktops ( and
various *DE ) when we have done that we can start looking at
interoperability issues with other OSes.

To my knowledge there is nothing preventing other OS to support all the
LinuxFS out there and until they choose to do so users of such OS will
simply have to install tools like ext2read [1] ( Windows 7 ) if they
want to access files on devices that have LinuxFS on them.

I assume that OS-X has not trouble with mounting various LinuxFS given
that it is a *nix breed.

JBG

1. http://ext2read.blogspot.com/
2. http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/