External HD fs was: Re: Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

Richard Zidlicky rz at linux-m68k.org
Mon Nov 15 17:39:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 02:03:03PM +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 15/11/10 13:54, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > there are very good reasons to use anything but DOS-FAT. For example
> > F10 and F12 automount said filesystems with drastically different options
> > by default (filename downcasing), using any other FS avoids this trap
> > and many other issues.
> >
> > Richard
> >

> What would you reccomend?
> That would attched itself nicely
> to Win <=7, and Mac <=Leopard
> out of the box (so to speak)

ironically, a few months ago I really needed interoperability with some kind
of Windows. So I formatted 2 USB sticks using fdisk and mkdosfs taking special
care to make it look as close as possible as the normal USB stick partition
table - the other users windows did not read it anyway.

So Fedora is definitely evil and perhaps if I had used ext2 the interoperability
would have been better - the user would just download the fs driver or one of the
userspace windows solutions and it would work.

Richard