sched_autogroup interactivity patch for the desktop

Josh Stone jistone at redhat.com
Tue Nov 16 19:02:54 UTC 2010

On 11/16/2010 09:14 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> This appears completely backwards to me. Attaching things like this to a
> TTY is just wrong, because normally we don't have a single TTY around on
> most graphical sessions.
>
> The kernel doesn't really have a notion of what a "session" is (only the
> audit subsystem kinda has), but if this grouping behaviour is supposed
> to be bound to a session, then attaching it to a TTY is a pretty shitty
> replacement.

I think the TTY granularity for autogroups is *intentionally* finer than
session granularity, which is why Linus' running kbuild doesn't
interfere with the rest of his desktop.

So if we confirm that this is a win, then I hope you also make sure that
systemd's grouping doesn't interfere with autogrouping benefits.  That
could just mean that systemd explicitly does what autogroup is
implicitly doing.

Josh