Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Nov 17 06:37:34 UTC 2010

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> GTK+ backends are linked in at this time.
> One of the things that we will need to address before switching to
> wayland-with-X-fallback-for-remote-or-poor-hw becomes a realistic
> possibility.

Well, I don't think that will ever be feasible for Qt apps (which, like it
or not, exist!): not only does Qt have to be recompiled for such a backend
change, all apps using Qt have to as well! E.g. Qt/Embedded is not binary-
compatible with Qt/X11 and I strongly doubt Qt/Wayland magically will be.
And in addition, there are also preprocessor defines such as Q_WS_X11 being
defined, which some apps rely on to use X11-specific functionality.

        Kevin Kofler