sched_autogroup interactivity patch for the desktop

Ilyes Gouta ilyes.gouta at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 10:03:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've been reading http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/16/402 and actually Lennart
has put some solid thoughts and arguments there and IMHO it was *somehow*
pretty convincing that this should be done at user-space, in conjunction
with tools such as systemd, albeit introducing more complexity in form of
configuration infrastructure and whatnot.

Having this being done automatically by the kernel looks really easy and yet
promising. The downside of it is that it just feels like it's something
rigged towards a special class of applications (TTY based, build jobs) and
would act behind the scene without user-space knowing (explicitly) about
this classification, cgroups being spawned and subtasks associated to them.

Still, It would be nice to have this differentiation in place, being
implemented in either forms, since it brings a certain win for the desktop
user and developer. I think having a term open for churning code is part (or
a possible user-case) of the desktop experience :)

-Ilyes