Fixing the glibc adobe flash incompatibility

Magnus Glantz mg at hacka.net
Wed Nov 17 20:44:31 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 09:30 PM, Ugis Fedora wrote:

> > From: jonathan at jonmasters.org
> > To: devel at lists.fedoraproject.org
> > Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:16:20 -0500
> > Subject: Re: Fixing the glibc adobe flash incompatibility
> > CC: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
> >
> > On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 08:57 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >
> > > This solution could be reverting the problem causing glibc change, or
> > > maybe changing it to do forward memcpy's while still using the new SSE
> > > instructions, or something more specific to the flash plugin, as long
> > > as it will automatically fix things with a yum upgrade without
> requiring
> > > any further user intervention.
> > >
> > > I would also like to point out that if this were to happen in Ubuntu
> > > which we sometimes look at jealously for getting more attention /
> users
> > > then us, the glibc change would likely be reverted immediately, as
> that
> > > is the right thing to do from an end user pov.
> > >
> > > I've filed a ticket for FESCo to look into this, as I believe this
> > > makes us look really bad, and the glibc maintainers do not seem to be
> > > willing to fix it without some sort of intervention:
> > > https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/501
>
> Isn't only 64-bit preview release affected?
>
> from adobe's website...
> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/
>
> >>We have made this preview available so that users can test existing
> content and new platforms for compatibility and stability. Because
> this is a preview version of Flash Player, we don’t expect it >>to be
> as stable as a final release version of Flash Player. Use caution when
> installing Flash Player "Square" on production machines.
>
> If they don't expect it to work properly why should we?
Because a large part of the Fedora users, uses the flash plugin from
Adobe, and if it does not work, they will go off and find a distribution
where it does work. With less people using Fedora, the project becomes
less successful, as less people will be contributing.
For me it's natural that we should care about the end-user experience of
Fedora, even if that does include us caring about application outside of
the Fedora owned repositories.

Cheers,
Magnus