Fixing the glibc adobe flash incompatibility

Magnus Glantz mg at hacka.net
Wed Nov 17 21:43:48 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 10:18 PM, Benjamin Kreuter wrote:
>> 2) Create a work-around for the end-users (as has been done by several
>> people in the BZ #638477-thread)
> This pretty much erases whatever incentive Adobe might have to actually fix
> the bug.  Instead of fixing their code, now what they can do is use some hack
> and not bother to update anything.  It also reduces the pressure on Adobe to
> release the Flash plugin under a libre license, since it would basically
> amount to the community doing the work to fix the problem while the software
> is still under a proprietary license.
But what you describe did not happen just now. There was two separate
work-arounds (one from Linus Torvalds, replacing memcpy with a custom
version, using LD_PRELOAD, and one from Ray Strode, replacing the memcpy
calls in the binary with memmove, using a script) but Adobe still
notified me today that they are QA/QE:ing a fix.
> In the grand scheme of things, this is a bug that Adobe could fix pretty
> quickly, if they feel like they have a good reason to do that.  Why not put
> the burden on them?  They release proprietary software, so they take on the
> responsibility of making sure it works on the platforms they target.
>
> -- Ben
Because Adobe is not the one that pretty quickly risks loosing users.
Ignoring flash content on the web is not done as easy as you can change
between two Linux distributions.

As it is (I don't like it, probably no one here likes it) a majority of
the Fedora users are dependent on Adobe Flash working in Fedora. If it
does not work, then a lot of things they do daily, stops working.

As long as there is no open source option for the majority of these
users, why not QA Adobe Flash before a release? It's done easily and has
great worth to the users.