Fixing the glibc adobe flash incompatibility

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 22:20:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:

>  Lets also not forget that the motivation for changing memcpy was to
> get some speedup - has anyone seen evidence of any significant benefit
> of that glibc change?
>
>  The BZ ref'd in this thread has linus' (simple) tests which dont
> confirm any benefit of the change compared to his simpler version (which
> does not go backwards).
>
>  So why make a change which only has downside and little to no upside?
[snip]

The original testing that went with the GLIBC patches also showed no
speedup on the hardware Linus uses, but it did show an impressive
(perhaps too impressive) speedup on other hardware:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.glibc.alpha/15278

But is it only me who worries that lots of people are running code
exposed to the internet that has obviously never even been run under
valgrind?