Fixing the glibc adobe flash incompatibility

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Nov 17 23:48:01 UTC 2010

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Dont we have an upstream mantra to uphold...
>
> Forward all Fedora users and otherwize that experience this to Adobe..
>
> If we are going hack around this on our side where are we going to draw
> the line..
>
> Are we planning to start hacking around every ill written code out there?

+1

It is not our job to support Adobe's proprietary software, it is Adobe's
job! This is a bug in Adobe's code and any complaints should be redirected
to Adobe. Including workaround for bugs in proprietary software in our code
is entirely the wrong thing to do.

If you want software we or you can actually fix, use Free Software!

(Maybe Flash being broken can actually get more interest into Gnash and
Lightspark, which can only be a good thing! So it's actually GOOD if the
proprietary Flash does not work. The fact that there's a free-as-in-beer
proprietary implementation of something tends to be a big motivation remover
for implementing a truly Free version, so having it break is actually good
for our community. But we don't need to go out of our way to deliberately
break it, we should just not work around its bugs!)

        Kevin Kofler