Fixing the glibc adobe flash incompatibility

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Nov 18 04:39:15 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> said:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:30:00PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > How is that relevant?  If the behavior changes on only some
> > architectures, then it is okay?
>
> If it's broken on non-x86 already then there haven't been "years of 'it
> just works'".

It doesn't change the fact that glibc changed behavior on some CPUs
(which is also going to make tracking down memcpy bugs highly
irritating, since the behavior will be different depending on the CPU).

Any normal person writing code is going to write a memcpy that copies
up, whether a simple C loop or optimized assembly, so I really doubt
you'll find lots of architectures that are widely used in the Unix world
where people use the memcpy routine in the standard C library that does
something different.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>