Fixing the glibc adobe flash incompatibility

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 14:28:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:14:58AM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 11:42 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> How is any of that a reason not to patch glibc?
>
> Upside of patching: happy users.
> Downside: nothing.

Downside: slower memcpy on sse4.2 machines
Downside: if we workaround the Adobe flash bug by reverting that change for
	  say half a year to let Adobe fix it in the months timeframe,
	  another possible misuses of memcpy in other proprietary closed software
	  won't be detected over that period of time, so then we'll revert
	  it for another buggy program and so on forever
Downside: this isn't ever going to be acceptable to upstream

If you want to workaround the bug somewhere, do it temporarily in nspluginwrapper,
or the browser upon detecting loading of libflashplugin.so.

	Jakub