x86_64 rawhide: Poweroff just shuts down

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Fri Nov 19 13:05:20 UTC 2010

Try as I may, for some time now I can't get my machines to poweroff. I've
got 3 machines affected: A Toshiba Satellite Pro U400, a Samsung N210
netbook and a white box old dual-core AMD64 (that one has an idiotic BIOS
that sometimes doesn't shutdown/poweroff properly, but now it is completely
consistent).

Here on the Toshiba I've looked more closely into the issue: If I run
poweroff (from the Gnome menu or by hand as root) the machine shuts down
(sort of): CapsLock still toggles the LED (even on an USB keyboard), I can
alt-F? to change ttys (even over USB), but there is no other reaction to
keypresses. No HDD activity indication, nothing. I have to press the power
switch a long time (a short press initiates soft shutdown, no reaction to
that) to poweroff. Nothing relevant shows up in /var/log/messages.

I see part of the boot messages, ending with:

  plymouthd: could not log boot: Address already in use

on tty.

Only out of the ordinary configuration I can think of is that /usr is a
separate partition (really LVM2 volume).
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513