Firefox, Aspell, and GPL/LGPL

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Nov 20 03:35:03 UTC 2010

Firefox's spell checker just complained at me about "theater". It wants me
to spell it as "theatre", instead.

Running aspell from the command line confirmed that it had to problems with
the Yankee spelling, so Firefox must be using its own dictionary, instead of
aspell. I distinctly remember an old thread which discussed a push to get
all apps to use the system aspell dictionary, where possible.

Looking around, I found an old article from 2006 which claimed that the
roadblocker to Firefox integrating aspell is aspell's GPL license:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/016618.html

However, the aspell RPM right now tells me that it's "LGPLv2 and LGPLv2+ and
GPLv2+ and MIT". Looks like aspell's license has change since then. I think
it would be nice to review the subject of getting Firefox integrated with
aspell.