The new Update Acceptance Criteria are broken

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Nov 20 21:49:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:04:24 -0800
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

...snip...

> > https://fedorahosted.org/bodhi/ticket/277
>
> hum, that wasn't well publicised, and I wasn't aware of it. (I should
> probably show up to more FESCo meetings...picture FESCo members going
> 'no, no, really, it's fine!') I'd disagree, for the reasons above.

Well, my thought on it is:

* As maintainer, shouldn't you be testing your updates already? Granted
  there's often no way you could test everything, but at least
  installing it and confirming the bug(s) you claim are fixed are
  fixed?

* Having just one pair of eyes (even if they are exceptionally talented
  ones) can lead to things slipping through. I know personally I have
  messed up and tested something, confirmed the bug was fixed, then due
  to one of: trying to clean up the commit before building without
  another test cycle, testing on a machine with different package
  versions, etc the update I push out is not the one that really fixes
  the issues or introduces some other issue. Unless you have a really
  really good test workflow this kind of thing can happen.

We can surely revisit this if folks like... but if we do, we might
consider for non critpath packages just re-enabling a 'push to stable',
as thats what it would allow with less clicking. ;)

kevin