Plan for tomorrow's FESCo meeting (2010-11-17)

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Sat Nov 20 22:09:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:42:57 +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> I personally can say that the week-long delay significantly diminishes
> my enjoyment of backporting patches into existing Fedora releases.
>
> Being able to spend 30 minutes fixing a bug for an user and getting an
> immediate feeling of accomplishment is much better than spending 30
> minutes fixing a bug and then ... nothing; I could just as well spend
> only 15 minutes fixing the bug upstream and not bother to create a patch
> for an update.

+1

I was just thinking yesterday this is the reason why I like Fedora bugs more
than upstream bugs.  The fix gets delivered in a day.  Sure after no
regression in the executed 105184 testcases.  Contrary to it an upstream fix
gets delivered in half a year.

Oh, I forgot, Fedora no longer delivers the fix in a day but ... even not in
a week.  Because I usually create new build during the updates-testing week so
the days start to count again.
	https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/gdb-7.2-7.fc14
		Date Submitted: 2010-09-22
		This update has been obsoleted by gdb-7.2-12.fc14
	https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/gdb-7.2-12.fc14
		Date Submitted: 2010-09-25
		This update has been obsoleted by gdb-7.2-15.fc14
	https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/gdb-7.2-15.fc14
		Date Submitted:	2010-09-27
		This update has been obsoleted by gdb-7.2-16.fc14
	https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/gdb-7.2-16.fc14
		Date Submitted: 2010-09-28
		2010-10-05 13:15:39 This update has been pushed to stable

So it is not 7 days but 13 days in this case.

One has to give up on backporting new fixes to ever get any delivered.

Regards,
Jan