The new Update Acceptance Criteria are broken

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Nov 20 23:02:51 UTC 2010

> Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> writes:
> > I do. I don't believe all maintainers do. It's pretty hard to explain
> > why updates that completely prevent the app in question from working, or
> > even prevent the system from booting, got pushed in the past, if all
> > maintainers actually test their updates.
>
> I don't think it's so hard to explain as all that.  It could well be
> that somebody tests a package, and it works *for him*, but breaks for
> many other people.  An example of a very easy way for that to happen is
> a missed dependency on a package that he happens to have installed.

That's not what I'm talking about. There have been multiple instances
where updates have been pushed that were *completely broken*: they could
not work at all, in any fashion, for anyone. It doesn't happen a lot,
but it happens; enough to prove that not all maintainers test updates
before pushing them.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey