Firefox, Aspell, and GPL/LGPL

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Nov 21 03:48:39 UTC 2010

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Running aspell from the command line confirmed that it had to problems
> with the Yankee spelling, so Firefox must be using its own dictionary,
> instead of aspell. I distinctly remember an old thread which discussed a
> push to get all apps to use the system aspell dictionary, where possible.

Uh, the default spellchecker in Fedora is hunspell, not aspell. Firefox also
uses hunspell, and so do OO.o, all KDE apps (by default), all apps using
Enchant (by default) etc. There are very few applications in Fedora which do
not default to hunspell, we worked hard on making everything important use
hunspell. See: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureDictionary

The issue you're seeing is with the settings being passed to hunspell by
Firefox.

        Kevin Kofler