Rawhide kernel image no longer readable

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Sun Nov 21 04:28:21 UTC 2010

Kyle McMartin <kyle at mcmartin.ca> writes:
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 04:41:47AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Uhm, indeed, making publicly available files non-readable is really useless.

> If it stops even one automated attack, then it's worth while.

That's completely ridiculous.  Shutting down Fedora altogether would
stop quite a lot of automated attacks, but we're not gonna do that.
What has to be asked is how much protection do you get for how much
loss of functionality; and from what I can gather on this thread,
this change doesn't look very good on that tradeoff scale.

Absolutism is not a useful approach to security.

			regards, tom lane