Plan for tomorrow's FESCo meeting (2010-11-17)

François Cami fdc-lists at fcami.net
Sun Nov 21 10:56:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> I don't disagree with anything you say, but the question of what's more
>> important than testing an update is key. If an update's worth doing,
>> it's worth testing. This is pretty simple, and amply demonstrated by
>> Fedora history: if we allow people to push untested packages as official
>> updates to stable releases, we will break those stable releases, and
>> people who use them will be badly affected.
>
> That claim keeps getting repeated, yet that big catastrophe has never
> happened. The worst was the D-Bus trouble, and even that didn't make the
> system completely unusable nor unrepairable.

You are downplaying the implications of the D-Bus fiasco.

Please read https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-December/msg00012.html
again.

Not withstanding the fact that less technically inclined users
wouldn't even have understood that there was a problem, leaving their
systems wide open to REMOTELY-EXPLOITABLE SECURITY HOLES (your caps,
not mine), don't you think that this was a major screw-up and makes
the project looks immature and unsafe for any critical usage?

Being able to learn from mistakes may be an indication of
intelligence. I'll let you guess what is widely thought of the
reverse.

François