Plan for tomorrow's FESCo meeting (2010-11-17)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Nov 21 21:54:47 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson wrote:
> How do you expect to be able to maintain an entire desktop environment
> on a distribution you don't even have installed? I have some sympathy
> for the 'fifty people said it works on F14, it probably works on F12
> too' argument, but for a *small, leaf* package, not for an entire
> desktop environment! If I were a KDE user running F12 I'd feel very
> unsafe knowing someone was happily pushing updates of the entire
> environment who did not even have a running F12 machine.

I've sometimes actually done testing on older releases out of sheer laziness
to upgrade to a newer one (see also me testing that F13 KDE 4.5.3 upgrade),
but with all this bullying of "Want current software? Upgrade your Fedora!",
with previous supported releases getting only second-class upgrade support,
that's going to stop soon (in fact, I'll probably upgrade my machines to F14
before the end of the month). (Pretty much everyone else in KDE SIG always
runs the latest Fedora. I'm almost the only one left on F13.) So by limiting
the kind of support previous releases get, you're actually INCREASING the
risk of untested updates, by making it unattractive for your developers to
run those releases.

        Kevin Kofler