Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 23 17:23:10 UTC 2010

Bastien Nocera wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 15:44 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 09:35:54AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>
>> > * Can we finally remove hal? (xfce4.8 shouldn't need it anymore with
>> >   any luck).
>>
>> Not without a pile of X changes, which themselves are blocking on
>> upstream kernel changes that I've submitted but which haven't been
>> merged.
>
> For brightness? For GNOME at least, this is worked around in:
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-power-manager/tree/src/gpm-backlight-
helper.c
> though a cleaner fix would certainly be appreciated.

Huh? KDE trunk (4.6) already uses XRandR backlight setting in PowerDevil:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/powerdevil/daemon/backends/upower/xrandrbrightness.cpp?revision=1194096&view=markup
and it appears to work fine for those who have coded this.

It might not to work for proprietary drivers, but that's those drivers'
problem. KDE basically requires XRandR since at least 4.0.

        Kevin Kofler