Fedora release model (was Re: Plan for tomorrow's FESCo meeting (2010-11-17))

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 23 17:41:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-23 at 18:32 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> >> Note that Fedora #-2 does not fit into this view for things at all,
> >> Fedora #-2 is meant to allow people to skip a Fedora release. But in
> >> practice I think this works out badly, because a relatively new Fedora
> >> release like Fedora 14 tends to still have some rough edges and get lots
> >> of updates/churn (and thus possible regressions, despite our best
> >> effords). This is not at a good point in its cycle to upgrade to for
> >> people who like it stable (and sticking with 1 release for an entire year
> >> to me sounds like liking it stable).
> >
> > That's a reasonable point indeed.
>
> Uh, you just explained yourself why it's not! (People don't "like it
> stable", they're just too lazy to upgrade.)

What I thought was a good point is that our professed reason for the
twelve month cycle is to allow users to 'skip a release', but that in
practice this is tricky because it requires you to upgrade very early in
the life of a new release, which historically speaking is not the most
stable point.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey