Updates Criteria Summary/Brainstorming

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 23 18:06:33 UTC 2010

Till Maas wrote:
> Afaik there is no need for a maintainer to set different acceptance
> thresholds for his updates. At least nobody ever explained to me why
> this would be helpful.

* Upgrade paths! I DON'T want my foo-1.2.3-4.fc13 update to go out before my
foo-1.2.3-4.fc14 update, even if it happens to get karma first.
* Possibility to look at the feedback. E.g. if an update has "-1, deletes
all my e-mail", "+1, can haz noo verzion?" and "+1, didn't test e-mail,
everything else works", I'm NOT going to push the update!
* Because people just make better decisions than software, period.

In fact, IMHO automatic pushing is completely stupid, and the current
process which heavily relies on it is just broken.

        Kevin Kofler