Updates Criteria Summary/Brainstorming

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 23 17:51:53 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson wrote:
> I believe Kevin would say his position is that the update is better than
> what's there already *sufficiently often* that allowing unrestricted
> updates is a net benefit (the question is whether an occasional bad
> update is a worse problem than some updates being delayed for a week or
> longer in the case of untested critpath updates).

That, and that sometimes the status quo is so broken that it's very
unlikely, if not impossible, to do worse. (The package doesn't install at
all, it deletes all your e-mail etc. Yes, technically, as was pointed out in
previous discussions, going from the first to the second state is a possible
way for things to get worse. It's just extremely unlikely to happen in
practice.)

        Kevin Kofler