Urgent: today's F14 catastrophe with openldap-servers update

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Nov 23 18:42:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, Jan Vcelak wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 November 2010 19:13:09, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> Another related thing is that Berkeley DB which openldap uses is
>> notoriously picky about getting updated. I'm fairly certain openldap does
>> not update their bundled BDB version to prevent issues like this on minor
>> updates, and AFAICT (based on a quick lookaround at the changelogs etc) in
>> this case it was this fix to comply with our own policies (no bundled
>> libraries) that bit us when synced with rawhide version:
>>
>> * Fri Aug 27 2010 Jan Vcelak <jvcelak at redhat.com> 2.4.23-1
>> - rebase to 2.4.23
>> - embeded db4 library removed
>>
>>  	- Panu -
>
> You are right. My fault. :-(

Mind you, I certainly didn't mean the above as pointing fingers or
blaming, but more as an example of one generic pitfall: It's incredibly
easy to forget / overlook one tiny little change which one did several
months ago ... and have it come biting when applied to a different
release, even if it's just F x-1 like here.

 	- Panu -