[HEADS-UP] Moving /var/run and /var/lock to tmpfs in Rawhide

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Nov 23 21:32:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23.11.10 16:12, Doug Ledford (dledford at redhat.com) wrote:

> On 11/23/2010 03:48 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Heya!
> >
> > I hereby want to let everybody know that in the next days I will turn on
> > /var/run and /var/lock on tmpfs on Rawhide/F15. This is in accordance
> > with the following accepted F15 feature:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/var-run-tmpfs
>
> Will the tmpfs mounts be available in the initramfs, or only on the
> running system?

Since /var/run is a subdir of /var which might be separate file system
it is difficult mounting /var/run before /var. That means that it won't
be available in the intird.

(Yes, one can do stuff with show-through mount hierachies, that would
allow replacing /var later on, but I am not a fan of such hackery.)

Also note that by now it's somewhat standard that code that needs to be
run as part of early boot creates a subdir in /dev, such as /dev/.udev
or /dev/.systemd. Not super-pretty, but I guess it's too late to
complain about that.

Ideally the FHS would have never specified that /var/run and /var/lock
would lie beneath /var, but I guess that's too late now.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.