[HEADS-UP] Moving /var/run and /var/lock to tmpfs in Rawhide

Nicholas Miell nmiell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 21:41:54 UTC 2010

> Heya!
>
> I hereby want to let everybody know that in the next days I will turn on
> /var/run and /var/lock on tmpfs on Rawhide/F15. This is in accordance
> with the following accepted F15 feature:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/var-run-tmpfs

Is this actually an improvement?

I know that dentries and inodes for regular filesystems can be discarded
from RAM if they're not in use, is that the case for a tmpfs?
How often are the files in /var/run and /var/lock accessed? Is the
kernel likely to discard them?

Files in /var/run tend to be 4 or 5 bytes in length, does that mean they
each use an entire page of RAM or swap? There are vastly fewer swap
pages than there are filesystem blocks, isn't this less efficient?