[HEADS-UP] Moving /var/run and /var/lock to tmpfs in Rawhide

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Nov 24 01:41:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:54:47PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> I think the fact that we get less disks accesses (just think noatime and
> stuff for the files dropped there) is more interesting than using the
> absolute minimal amount of memory.

Less disk access at startup, or in general somehow? Optimizing for startup
performance over general performance does not seem so good. But this is
really about elegance rather than resource usage, right?

Currently, /var/run and /var/lock on my rawhide desktop system take up 364K.
385K on another rawhide system. (Blocksize of 4k.) I think we can spare that
in this day and age if we get a reasonable benefit in return.

Meanwhile, NetworkManager is doing absolutely nothing for me, and is taking
up a USS of 65.3M. If we're gonna tilt at memory consumption windmills, how
about we take a look at that one?

(NetworkManager is awesome on my _laptop_, by the way. Wouldn't dream of
living without it.)

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>