Updates Criteria Summary/Brainstorming

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 11:27:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 10:39:27PM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > There's one easy but deeply flawed way to do this -- automatically create
> > a username at fedoraproject.org bugzilla account for the user with the
> > password used in FAS.  Deeply flawed in this case because the passwords
> > can get out of sync, we're creating accounts when people sometimes want to
> > use a different address in bugzilla and fas, etc.
>
> Hmm, but it says here that we should use the same address in Bugzilla and FAS:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers

Yes, you should.  When you don't the infrastructure admins get spammed until
someone either fixes the mismatch or alerts me and I get time to put in
a mapping for the bugzilla email address.

> > We don't control RH
> > bugzilla so changing bugzilla to be able to use fas to login would be
> > problematic.
>
> That solution seems backwards anyway. I think most new contributors probably
> report bugs long before they become packagers, so they need Bugzilla accounts
> before they need FAS accounts.
>
> How about changing Bodhi to allow login with either a FAS account or a
> Bugzilla account? Would that be difficult to do?

Yes.

Everything in Fedora uses the FAS account.  So, for instance, bodhi needs to
know whether the person pushing an update has permission which means that
they need to enter their fas account to match up with what's in the pkgdb.

Implementing a separate login just for comments would also be a lot of extra
work although it would be more segregated from the rest of the code so it
might be doable.

-Toshio