Updates Criteria Summary/Brainstorming

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Nov 24 12:38:23 UTC 2010

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> * Change FN-1 to just security and major bugfix. Nothing else allowed.

So, if:
1) a package is updated because of a security problem
2) next day, FN+1 is released
3) next day, it is found that the fix in 1) has a very minor bug (e.g. typo in a string)
4) the string is not fixable anymore: no minor bugfixes for FN-1

If the regression is cosmetic/performance etc. it will be left unfixed, and
we can't really describe this distro as "Linux, you know, that wonderful world
where problems are rapidly fixes by lots of people around the world".

We should more honestly say that Fedora as two level of support:
- 6 months (any bug)
- additional 7 months (serious bugs only)

Next, the Fn-2 -> Fn upgrade process can be sacrificed.

I personally like all kind of updates in a stable distro.
Even major ones (such as KDE).
I, as a user, will not be so stupid to update my presentation software
a few minutes before the important meeting with the boss.
I also trust the maintainers to not frequently push crap at me.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it