Passing ownership of mingetty

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Nov 24 19:38:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24.11.10 00:06, Paul Wouters (paul at xelerance.com) wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > That way most distros would only have to install one getty implementation,
> >  and can use it for both serial consoles and VCs.
>
> Yes please.
>
> Bonus points for anaconda configuring a working agetty login if the install
> console was serial. That is, run agetty using the same linespeed as the
> install and add the serial device to securetty.

systemd implicitly adds a serial getty on the console configured on the
kernel cmdline with console= and also one on hvc0 if that device
exists. That means simply by using console= on the kernel cmdline you
should get a getty on it.

We currently still use the old securetty tool to patch those terminals
into /etc/securetty on demand. I have submitted a patch to pam_securetty
however, to make it look for console= on the kernel cmdline internally,
which when merged allows us to get rid of the tool and have this work on
r/o root fine as well.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.