F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Nov 24 21:59:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24.11.10 21:25, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4 at gmail.com) wrote:

> > BTW, regarding at and cron: what I was thinking of but never check
> > ehwther it is feasible is to make cron/at autostart a soon as some job
> > is scheduled. I.e. use .path trigger to check whether /etc/crontab and
> > user jobs exist, and start cron only then. Similarly for at. That way we
> > could support cron and at just fine, and wouldn't even have to run it by
> > default. I haven't looked into this in detail however, to see if the
> > file triggers systemd offers in .path units are already sufficient to
> > make this work.
>
> IMHO good idea. It should look something like this
> ListenStream=/etc/cron.hourly/*
> ListenStream=/etc/cron.daily/*
> ListenStream=/etc/cron.weekly/*
> ListenStream=/etc/cron.monthly/*
> (more or less)

(As mentioned elsewhere, DirectoryNotEmpty= is the right option here)

I think /etc/cron.{hourly, daily, weelkly, monthtly}/ should be handled
by a systemd timer, instead of a cron job in future. After all they
aren't handle by cron really either these days, but indirectly via run-parts.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.