Introducing wicked

Chris Jones chrisjones at comcen.com.au
Thu Nov 25 22:42:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 17:24 +0100, Olaf Kirch wrote:
> Presenting wicked network configuration
> =======================================
>
> This is the first public release of wicked, an experimental framework
> for network configuration.
>
> You may ask, don't we have enough of those already? Don't we have
> NetworkManager, connman, netcf, and a few more?
>
> The point I started from was the desire to unify what is usually provided
> through the traditional ifup script kudzu, with some of the more desktop
> oriented services provided by facilities like NetworkManager. I also
> wanted to move towards a more powerful set of functionality written in
> C, which is able to subsume functionality provided by ifconfig, ip(8),
> brctl, vconfig, ethtool, etc, and be able to drive these through an
> extensible XML representation of the network configuration.
>
> Kind of the Grand Unified Theory of network configuration :-)
>
> Right now, this implementation uses a daemon service and a command
> line utility. These two communicate securely via a local UNIX socket,
> allowing the server to validate the client's user id.
>
> The server offers a REST interface to various aspects of network
> configuration. The client application uses REST calls to retrieve
> interface configuration and status, or to reconfigure interfaces.
> The path space used by the API can be extended to cover other aspects
> of network configuration as well, such as reading, writing and restoring
> the resolv.conf file.
>
> After having hacked on this for a while, I want to release this to
> the community for feedback.
>
> If you're interested in finding out more, you will find a README
> and several manpages in the source code, which is available from
> http://gitorious.org/wicked

I'm going to be a little more positive with my comments for Olaf.

The way I read his original post, is he is simply providing an
alternative in addition to what we already have.
I certainly didn't ready it as a replacement proposal.

Good work Olaf. Keep up the good work.

For future reference, we need to encourage these sorts of development
projects. It's great for both Fedora and Linux.

Regards

--
Chris Jones

PHOTO RESOLUTIONS - Photo - Graphic - Web
ABN: 98 317 740 240
@: chrisjones at comcen.com.au
WWW: http://photoresolutions.freehostia.com