F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Fri Nov 26 00:46:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 01:15:04 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> The only contents of /etc/crontab and /etc/cron.d is the lines to
> handle /etc/cron.daily and friends. As mentioned we can easily run

On RHEL/CentOS (and it's likely only a matter of time before systemd
fillers through to them) various programs install jobs into /etc/cron.d
a quick look on one machine shows; mailman and sysstat related jobs as
well as some others...

> those as normal timer-triggerd units inside of systemd itself (and
> get all the features it offers you for free, nice introspection,
> logging, IO/CPU scheduling hooks, yadda yadda). So, if you remove
> that /etc/crontab is empty and hence could be removed.
> And /etc/cron.d is empty too. And there you go, we can support cron

Although I can't be the only one who puts various cron jobs
under /etc/cron.d that get run at various times.

Andrew