F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Fri Nov 26 08:20:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 03:05 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 26.11.10 02:07, Miloslav Trmač (mitr at volny.cz) wrote:
>
> > Lennart Poettering píše v Pá 26. 11. 2010 v 01:27 +0100:
> > > On Thu, 25.11.10 17:33, Tomas Mraz (tmraz at redhat.com) wrote:
> > > And also, cron does a couple of really nasty things. For example it
> > > wakes up in regular intervals to check if a job is ready to run. It does
> > > so to deal with wallclock time changes/suspends. In systemd we are
> > > working on a different way to solve this, so that we can actually sleep
> > > as long as possible, and don't have to wake up in regular
> > > intervals.
> > Great.  You can fix cron then, this does not mean it is necessary to
> > integrate the two.
>
> Well, I actually believe we should design an OS here, not just a set of
> independent tools. And that means I think closer integration is good and
> only has benefits.

I agree you are trying to design a completely new OS here. I am not so
sure this OS will be better than any other fully integrated monolithic
OS. I originally did not want to write this, but it seems you are really
determined to break some of the basic and proven to be effective Unix
design philosophy rules to make the system from simple parts with
clearly defined interfaces and functionality.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb