[HEADS-UP] Moving /var/run and /var/lock to tmpfs in Rawhide

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sun Nov 28 01:52:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Paul Howarth wrote:

>> Is that needed if the package init script deals with this already?
>> (eg xl2tpd will create /var/run/xl2tpd if it does not exist)
>
> If the initscript already does it then that should be fine.
>
> But Lennart prefers the tmpfiles.d approach as it's less cumbersome:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-November/146230.html

But the initscript needs the support anyway, if it is to support non-systemd
systems. And as an upstream, I'm trying to keep to a single init script where
possible. (and not have one for each branch of fedora)

Adding/supporting systemd files in /etc just for creating /var/run/packagename
does seem the ideal solution to me.

Paul