preventing md5 mismatch errors from compression changes

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 21:25:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 08:25:49AM +0000, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > This could require different naames for the library too which will get a bit
> > harder than just the binary name.
>
> Sorry for the late reply. I just noticed the presence in Rawhide of the
> xz-compat-libs package which provides the old compression with liblzma.so.0 in
> addition to xz-libs providing the new compression with liblzma.so.5. (This was
> also discussed in
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-October/144651.html .) This
> is great - however, applydeltarpm in Rawhide still fails with "md5 mismatch of
> result" when the new RPM uses the old compression. Excuse my ignorance, but is
> there some way to make it recognize the correct compression needed? I was hoping
> to be able to generate functional deltaisos from F14 Final to various F15
> milestones, but at this point it looks like it won't work (even when running
> applydeltaiso on a system with the latest xz/deltarpm/deltaiso). If it could be
> made to work, I could just document the procedure for temporarily updating the
> necessary packages.

I don't believe so.  I think we'd need to 1) rebuild all packages using the
new compression 2) Teach the deltaiso stuff that generating an F15 iso needs
to use the new version of the xz/delta*.

Without a rebuild, some packages in F15 will be using the old xz compression
and therefore fail if the new xz compression is used while other packages
will be using the new compression and fail if the old compression is used.

-Toshio