[HEADS-UP] Moving /var/run and /var/lock to tmpfs in Rawhide

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Nov 30 21:10:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

>> I would really like to avoid having THREE places to create directories
>> in /var/run and /var/lock, those being spec file, init scripts AND tmpfiles.d
>
>  Scratch the initscript.  This would mean initscript would need to
> contain multiple
> ExecStartPre=/sbin/mkdir --mode=777 /var/run/xx; /bin/chown x.x /var/run/xx; /sbin/restorecon /var/run/xx
> lines, which look unwieldy.

why not

mkdir -p /var/run/xx

or:

[ ! -d /var/run/xx ] && mkdir -p /var/run/xx

Can't selinux pickup things without a restorecon? And what is the problem another (root)
process screwing over a pid or lock file? Can't SElinux lock that down from the /var/run
level?

>  So we are left with tmpfiles.d and spec file.  Could the spec file be replaced
> by tmpfilesd invocation in %post?

I'm still not convinced of tmpfiles.d. I'd like a package to be as system-start-system agnostic
as possible. I don't want to know if it is systemd or upstart or initng or whatnot.

Paul