biosdevname hitting rawhide

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Nov 30 21:12:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 02:37:04AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>    On 12/01/2010 12:34 AM, Matt Domsch wrote:
>
>  Can you expand the release notes section of
>
>  [1]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming
>
>  Please include the benefits in that.
>
>  Done.
>
>    Can you explain why only those particular HP and Dell models are affected
>    by this change?* Is there more models expected to adopt this change?*

It requires BIOS to expose the information the tool uses (SMBIOS 2.6,
or HP's proprietary method).  I know recent Dell and HP servers do,
I'm not aware of any others at this time, nor do I have visibility
into the plans of other vendors.  I don't expect desktops to expose
this information - they have only 1 NIC.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist