biosdevname hitting rawhide

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Nov 30 22:29:32 UTC 2010

Matt Domsch wrote:
>> >  Yes, your system, on new install, or if you delete
>> >  /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and the HWADDR lines from
>> >  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*, will then use the new names.
> specifically, em0 for the above device, and em<Type Instance>  for the
> second NIC specified in SMBIOS...

OK. Perhaps the wiki should be updated to state the feature works more
generically (SMBIOS 2.6+) and not for just Dell/HP systems?

Interesting work, Matt. I'm surprised the Unix purists who would fight
you to death to keep sendmail on desktops would allow you to change the
almighty eth* naming scheme.