biosdevname hitting rawhide

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Nov 30 22:34:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 04:29:32PM -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > specifically, em0 for the above device, and em<Type Instance>  for the
> > second NIC specified in SMBIOS...
>
> OK. Perhaps the wiki should be updated to state the feature works more
> generically (SMBIOS 2.6+) and not for just Dell/HP systems?

I've done so now.

> Interesting work, Matt. I'm surprised the Unix purists who would fight
> you to death to keep sendmail on desktops would allow you to change the
> almighty eth* naming scheme.

I've caught flack for years - that's why this is just now happening.
The previous released version of biosdevname was over 3 years ago -
the pushback was against changing the eth* naming scheme.  But there's
no other way to do it.  I wish there was.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist