REVIEW/RFC: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Draft

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 17:21:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:01 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>
>> It shouldn't be. Never be afraid of learning, even in the tightest of
>> situations. It is good for your brain. It helps with analytical
>> thinking.
>>
>> Once constant learning becomes part of your life, you really don't get
>> bothered with UI changes.
>>
>> Promoting "not learning" will drive the community lazy. I think the
>> educational system all over the world forces people to acknowledge
>> learning as burden. This is not good for humanity. I don't believe
>> that Fedora should follow this road of lazyness.
>
> I don't know if you are serious but it is not a question of lazyness.  Users
> don't want to be disrupted to what they are used to, just because they did a
> few updates.  New release can introduce major changes and users will be more
> tolerant of that.

What I am trying to say is, a redesign of an interface _usually_ have
valid reasons. Those users who don't want their menu items moving
around want to live like automated machines. Forbidding such changes
promotes lazyness.

If the update removes features that existed in previous version, that
is another story. I support you forbidding this type of change.

But I really don't buy this "users shouldn't be disturbed by moving a
button from left to right". If the user is disrupted to what they are
used to, he needs to learn not to (be disrupted). Do we really want to
serve a closed-for-learning community? :(

Orcan