F14 libgdl 2.31.x broken

Jim Hayward jimhayward at embarqmail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:08:56 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 10:12 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 17:44:05 -0700, Jim wrote:
>
> > Any application that uses libgdl on F14 segfaults on startup.
>
> Any? That would mean it would have been easy to test whether the update
> works at all, but either it has been marked stable without any testing
> or at a time when it worked:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libgdl-2.31.3-1.fc14

Yes, any application that uses libgdl segfaults with the same error on
my F14 system. This is not limited to software from the F14 repo, but
also self compiled applications that worked fine previously on F13. The
above version also has the same problem.

> There's a package related RFE in bugzilla which is unanswered since June.
> The package is assigned to only one person:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/libgdl
>
> If a downgrade (with an Epoch bump) is the only way forward, it would
> still be good to have the current packager comment on that. Or somebody
> who is familiar enough with libgdl and would also show interest in
> joining Fedora's group of packagers in order to help with libgdl and
> related packages.

A downgrade for F14 to 2.30.x, however rawhide(F15) probably needs to
move to 2.90.x. Which is the GTK3 branch of libgdl.

Anjuta is broken on F14. I don't know if any other apps in the F14 repo
use libgdl. I'm not familiar with the internal workings of libgdl,
however I use libgdl for a couple of my own applications. I think I can
tell whether or not the problem is my own application.

The upstream bug report I referenced before includes a response from the
Anjuta/libgdl developer, "Anyway, gdl 2.31.x is broken and gnome-2-32
will ship gdl 2.30.x.". I'm inclined to trust the upstream developer if
he says his app is broken.

Regards,
	Jim H