Arithmetic coding in Fedora libjpeg (bug #639531)

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Oct 2 17:58:27 UTC 2010

Hi,

> > Remember, Fedora is not just for use in your country - there are piles
> > of countries it's used in, each with their own insane patent
> > regulations. The fedora stance is that if it offends, it's out.
>
> Just for the record, AFAIK there are only two countries which allows
> software patents - USA and South Korea.

Yep - and it's the US which has some of the more insane ones (and
therefore has to be the most careful over).

I wonder how long it will be before Apple's current insane one over
backing up to a local repository will be allowed to stand - effectively
it means you can't burn to a CD!

Paul

--
Vertraue mir, ich weiss, was ich mache...