Arithmetic coding in Fedora libjpeg (bug #639531)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Oct 2 18:30:15 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 22:53:53 +0530
Mukund Sivaraman <muks at banu.com> wrote:

> Arithmetic coding in Fedora libjpeg (bug #639531)

...snip long thing...

My thoughts:

- We should not be making this change in stable releases even if
  otherwise like the idea. It could well cause issues and problems with
  a fragile library used by a lot of things.

- In f14+ we are not using libjpeg. We are using libjpeg-turbo. See:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/libjpeg-turbo
So, any request to enable this support should be filed there and looked
at from it's perspective. Do they have support? Does it cause any
issues? Does upstream enable it?

- For the legal side, make your (new libjpeg-turbo) bug block FE_LEGAL
  so it can be looked at.

kevin