Arithmetic coding in Fedora libjpeg (bug #639531)

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sat Oct 2 21:14:33 UTC 2010

Tom Lane wrote:
> I believe that they'd be best advised to say "no", because at this point
> one of JPEG's principal attractions is near-universal compatibility.
> Throwing A/C into the mix will throw that away, for what really is a
> very marginal gain in compression efficiency.

It's well known around the Internet that to achieve compatibility you should
be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you accept. Applied to
JPEG: Use only Huffman coding when encoding – except maybe if you know that all
recipients can handle arithmetic coding – but support both encodings when
decoding.

Björn Persson