REVIEW/RFC: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Draft

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Oct 3 01:29:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 08:56:21PM -0400, Brandon Lozza wrote:

> I'm not a developer at all. I'm a hardened power user and I got sick
> and tired of not having the latest version of a particular application
> and that led me to Fedora Linux. I'm a quick learner and these
> disruptive changes often work out increasing my productivity. I
> understand this profile doesn't fit everyone but Fedora will end up
> losing the more advanced end users in its effort to grab more of the
> less advanced end users who are fearful of change and/or gave up their
> pursuit of knowledge.

It turns out to be remarkably difficult to develop software for Fedora
if a moderate part of the week ends up being spent wondering why
something that previously worked no longer works. This isn't about "less
advanced end users". It's about providing stability in order to provide
an operating system that people can actually use without.

> Fedora is just going to end up having a million repos for all the
> software that will not be updated for six months. And that makes us
> look silly. Windows doesn't have repositories for users who want the
> latest firefox, they just download it and install it. No bullshit
> required.

Software distribution mechanisms are an entirely separate issue from a
distribution's (effectively required) update policy.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org