ldd regression in F14B

Alberto Bertogli albertito at blitiri.com.ar
Mon Oct 4 17:01:37 UTC 2010

Hi!

I installed F14B on a 64-bit VM (kvm) to give it a try, and see if some
projects worked fine on it.

One didn't, and while debugging the issue, I found what I believe is a
regression in ldd. That is, it used to work on F13, but now it doesn't.

I asked on #fedora if I should file a bug and they suggested me to ask
here first.

The issue is very easy to reproduce, just run:

	ld -o libccheck.so -lc -shared

to create an "empty" shared library linked with libc, and then:

	ldd libccheck.so

This is what fails, but used to work. It says "not a dynamic
executable", and I expected it to emit the normal library dependency
list.

This same experiment works on Debian testing and Ubuntu 10.04.

I also copied the .so built in F14B to an Ubuntu install and ran ldd on
it. It worked as expected, so it is likely that this is an ldd issue and
not an ld one.

Do you have any idea what may be causing this?

Let me know if you need any additional information. If there is anything
you want me to do, test or debug, I'd be glad to.

I'll try to build ldd from source and see if I can find anything else.

Thanks a lot,
		Alberto