Making Fedora work with laptops on docking station with external monitor

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Tue Oct 5 04:30:27 UTC 2010

  On 10/4/2010 4:40 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 10:48 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> I've been trying unsuccessfully for a long to time to try to get this
>> discussion started.  Perhaps this just isn't right place?  If not, where?
> It's as good a place as any. The X and desktop developers are the people
> who can actually fix it, though, if you can't provide patches.
The big question still seems to be who needs to be responsible for
deciding what video outputs are active by default in a system.
Previously this appears to have been the responsibility of the various X
drivers who appear to have gotten out of that business because it is a
hard problem and probably because much of that has moved to the kernel
with KMS.  But nothing has come in to replace it (that I am aware of),
and so various bugs are being filed against various components (kernel,
X, kdm/gdm).  Hopefully it could be done in a central enough way to
avoid every desktop environment having to implement it individually
(which was a problem faced by the various X drivers I imagine).

So, where does this need to happen?  The kernel is the most central and
now holds KMS stuff, but perhaps not a kind home to this kind of hacky
stuff.  plymouth is at least DE agnostic, but still distribution
specific.  Udev rule?  Are we really stuck with gdm/kdm/lxdm/...dm
implementing it?

- Orion